Saturday (and Friday) nights aren’t what they used to be now we have a 3 month old. To be fair they weren’t what they used to be back when I was pregnant either as I couldn’t really go out drinking whenever I wanted but the biggest change was definitely when the little one arrived. You can’t just leave the house because someone has called you up and said meet them at the pub. You also don’t want to have to deal with a baby when you are hungover. So family nights in it is!
This Saturday we went to my partner’s cousin’s house and I made pizza (my favourite!). We had a few littles drinks and chatted until gone midnight!
Here’s the (basic) recipe I used to make our pizzas. This made two 12 inch pizzas.
- Dissolve 1 tsp of granulated sugar in 320mls (1 and 1/3 cups) of warm water. Then add 2 and 1/4 tsps. of Allison’s Dried Active Yeast and mix it well. Leave for 15 minutes and allow it to foam. If it does not foam throw that mixture and make another.
- Pour this mixture into a big bowl then add 2tbsps of olive oil, 440g of strong white bread flour, 3/4 tsp of salt and a pinch more of sugar to the bowl and mix with your hands until a dough starts to form.
- Knead for 7-10 minutes, adding a bit of flour if required, I had 3 tbsps. of flour in a bowl and dipped my dough into it as required while I kneaded. You’ll know it’s done once you can poke it and it bounces back into shape.
- Lightly coat a bowl with oil and place the dough ball inside. Roll the ball around to coat it in oil and then cover the bowl tightly with Clingfilm and leave in a warm room to rise for about 2 hours
- Give the dough ball a punch to release the air trapped inside and then divide into two balls.
- Sprinkle some flour on a work surface and roll our your dough ball into a circle.
- Place onto a pizza dish that has been lightly coated in oil with a sprinkling of flour or cornmeal.
- Slightly lift up the sides and pinch down to create a crust. Apply a small amount of water to seal. Brush on some oil.
- Pour on some tomato passata (I used Sainsbury’s own) and then sprinkle on Mozzarella cheese and add any toppings you want. Sprinkle some more cheese on top of your toppings
- Cook until done.