Okay so you may or may not have read similar things in other blogs or seen them on memes or you’ve been told them by females in your life. But here is my list of things I wasn’t really told or knew about before I experienced them.
Pregnancy is hard. It is physically and mentally tiring. I loved my bump and having my baby so close to me but there were definitely downsides. They aren’t bad enough that I’d never go through it again but they are things that I wouldn’t choose to experience.
- Morning sickness is named wrong. It should be called all day and all night sickness. Seriously. It can and will happen at any point of the day or night. You just have to try and find a pattern or triggers and avoid them or work around them
- You can control your farts about as well as you can control a toddler going through a sugar rush.
- You will need to pee. A lot.
- Pooping can become difficult. They aren’t kidding when they say you need a lot of fibre in your diet.
- Everything leaks. Yes even before you are near giving birth things will leak. Or at least feel like it. Boobs start to make colostrum, this can begin to leak out long before delivery. I learnt this after my partner started laughing at a stain on my boob after watching a film that involved a baby. Seriously that’s all it takes sometimes. Discharge. It kinda just leaks out of you right? Well that’s what it feels like. Gross I know but we had to get it out of the way.
- Hunger and cravings like you’ve never known. You will get days when you just need to eat or drink something specific and if you don’t it will just eat away at you, bugging you until you do. You will find that you will have days that you pretty much don’t stop eating. It’s okay, your baby is probably going through a growth spurt. Plus it is evened out by those days you were too sick to eat.
- Clothes just fit awkwardly. I don’t know how they do it when they advertise the clothes, all the models always look so nice, as they do on tv shows. In reality however it is hard to find clothes that flatter your new curves, sometimes they flatter you in some places but not others. And if you are lucky enough to find something that makes you look as amazing as they say you should feel, then I can almost guarantee you that you are going to have to take out a loan to buy it
- You will gain weight. You can eat nothing but salads, work out everyday and still gain 50lbs. But you could also eat junk, hardly work out and just gain 20lbs. Your body is going to gain what it needs, you have no control over this. If you are anything like me it may not even be food causing the weight gain, it may all be water. I was like a giant water balloon by the end. Slish slosh wherever I went.
- Your waters breaking probably wont be like it is in the movies. It might just feel like you are uncontrollably peeing yourself.
- Boobs hurt and get big. Yes your other half may think their dream has just come true. But no they can’t touch. They can’t even look.
- Nesting doesn’t always happen. You know you need to clean and get the baby’s clothes washed, you wait for that nesting urge to kick in, that’ll give you the energy and motivation right? Well yes, in theory. You have to get that nesting urge first and that doesn’t always happen.
- Stretch marks! Urgh! They suck. But guess what. They happen and there is nothing you can do about it. You can buy the most expensive lotions and potions you want, if your body is meant to have them they will! Some women are more likely to get them than others, you may get them with your first pregnancy and not get any more the second, you may get none with your first pregnancy and get them with your second. There is no real way to stop you from getting them. You can eat healthily, drink lots of water, oil yourself up everyday and gain weight slowly and still get them. Don’t feel down if you do. I know it’s not easy but be proud of what your body achieved and remember that they will fade in time, so don’t beat yourself up about it. After all I’m sure we can all agree that as long as our babies and us come out of this whole experience healthy and happy we would take all the stretch marks our body can throw at us.
- Your abdominal muscles will separate to some degree. Make sure you don’t do abdominal exercises, focus on general core strength.
That’s all I can think of for now. Let me know if you think of anything else and I’ll update if I manage to think of any more!